I am an Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Manitoba (UofM) and the founder of the Sustainable Infrastructure and Geotechnical Laboratory at the UofM.
My main areas of expertise are the integration of structural systems and energy in sustainable infrastructure including ground vibration and geotechnical earthquake engineering, geo-hazard (landslide, earthquake, and climate change), soil-pipeline interaction, stability of infrastructure in warm permafrost areas, renewable geothermal energy, energy geo-structures, and development of non-destructive-testing techniques for geo-materials.
I am a Professional Engineer of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of Manitoba (2016-Present) and l’Ordre des Ingenieurs du Quebec (2014-2016; membership is not renewed).
I received my PhD in Geotechnical Engineering from Ecole des Ponts ParisTech (Paris Institute of Technology), France, in 2010. I held a postdoctoral fellowship at NSERC-Hydro-Quebec Industrial Research Chair at Laval University (2010-2012) in Quebec. Before joining the University of Manitoba in July 2015, I worked as a project manager on more than 65 highly varied geotechnical projects including embankment design in cold regions, liquefaction analysis, foundation design, pavement design, and soil-structure analysis across Quebec (2013-2014). These projects were performed in collaboration with Ministère du Transport du Quebec (MTQ), the City of Montreal, other municipalities, SNC-Lavalin, and EXP among others. I also worked as a sessional lecturer at Polytechnique of Montreal and Ecole de Technologie Superieure (2014-2015).
Having studied, worked in, and collaborated with various research and industrial institutes, I have enhanced my research, project management, and leadership skills, which inspired me in my HQP training. I have established connections with professionals and academics nationally and internationally, which I believe is crucial for the success and recognition of my research program. Further, my industrial experience is of benefit to my academic career in view of close ties with the industrial needs.
I have a solid publication record in high impact, peer-reviewed journals such as Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, International Journal of Solids and Structures, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics and International Symposium and Conferences on Poromechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. I was an instructor in the Professional Development Course for Masonry Consultants and Contractors – Design of Structural Masonry at Structural Innovation and Monitoring Technologies Resource Centre (SIMTReC). Also, I have been invited to give several seminars and talks (Canadian Geotechnical Society – Manitoba Section, different faculties at University of Manitoba, Geothermal Symposium – WISE University of Waterloo, International Workshop on Characterisation of Materials with the inherent Microstructure: towards modeling of hydro-mechanical behavior – Ruhr-Universität Bochum (Germany)).
Since joining the University of Manitoba, I have been actively establishing and expanding my research to several interdisciplinary areas including stability of infrastructure affected by global warming in Northern Canada, development of new algorithms for non-destructive testing for geomaterials, structural integrity and serviceability of buried and ageing infrastructure in cold regions and landslide areas, ground vibration (seismic microzonation, traffic- and construction-induced vibration), renewable geothermal energy, and energy efficiency of below-grade building envelopes. I have been actively seeking new collaborations with industrial research partners and government agencies (Manitoba Infrastructure, Manitoba Hydro, Canadian Hydroelectric Corporations, Infrastructure Canada).
Currently, I am supervising one research fellow (unofficial post-doc), four PhD, six MSc, one MEng students, and two undergraduate summer students. Three of my MSc students will graduate by Fall 2018. I am committed to achieving gender equity and diversity in my HQP pool.
A number of research grants provided by the University of Manitoba (Start-Up Fund, URGP), NSERC Discovery Grant program, NSERC Engage Grant, NSERC CREATE, and MITACS program supports my research training.
Academic Experience (Research & Teaching):
- University of Manitoba (07/2015 – Present): Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Winnipeg, Canada.
- University of Manitoba (01/2017 – Present): Adjunct Professor, Graduate Program in Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Winnipeg, Canada.
- Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy (WISE) (09/2017 – Present): Researcher, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada.
- École de Technologie Supérieure (09/2014 – 04/2015): Lecturer,Département de Génie de la Construction, Montreal, Canada.
- École Polytechnique (01/2014 – 04/2014): Lecturer, Département des Génies Civil, Géologique et des Mines, Montreal, Canada.
Industrial and R&D Experience:
- Hybrixcel Inc. (04/2018 – Present): Senior VP and Director of R&D, Toronto, Canada.
- ABS Group Inc. (04/2013 – 12/2014): Project Manager, Geotechnical Department, Montreal, Canada.
- Sakoo Consulting Engineers (2005 – 2006): Junior Marine Structural/Geotechnical Engineer, Tehran, Iran.
- Post-Doctorate (12/2010 – 12/2012): Geotechnical Engineering, Université Laval, Quebec-City, QC.
- Doctorate (10/2007 – 11/2010): Geotechnical Engineering, Ecole des Ponts ParisTech, Paris, France.
- Master’s (09/2006 – 06/2007): Soil and Rock Mechanics and Environmental Geomechanics, Ecole des Ponts ParisTech, Paris, France.
- Bachelor’s (09/2002 – 06/2006): Civil Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
English, French, Persian
Read, Write, Speak, Understand, Peer Review
Beginner (I can understand!)
Spanish, Italian, Arabic
Beginner (I can read!)
PROFESSIONAL & ACADEMIC AFFILIATION
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (2016-Present)
Quebec Professional Engineers (2014-2016)
International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (2013-Present)
Canadian Geotechnical Society (2013-Present)
Engineering Institute of Canada (2017-Present)
American Society of Civil Engineers (2014-Present)
International Permafrost Association (2013-Present)